23 May 2006

Cosmos With a Twist

I'm waiting to read Kwame Anthony Appiah's Cosmopolitanism: Ethics in a World of Strangers, until I can get some of my own thoughts straight on the subject. Reviews and the dust jacket describe it as a philosophical treatise about counteracting modern fundamentalism (an unfortunate oxymoron) with the ancient Greek concept of the Cosmopolitan: the citizen (polis) of the world (cosmos).

I think the real question of the moment (and the one I hope Mr. Appiah answers) is where does the cosmopolitan draw the line against the non-cosmopolitan. Obviously we accept them , as we do not desire either homogeneity or conformity, but what do we do if they do not accept us? Is there a place where the cosmopolitan not only draws the line, but draws the sword?

More thoughts on this later as I read the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial2.5 License.